Quinten Yonkers
College Essay
April 22nd, 2014
A
Time of Reconsideration
When
I was 12, I thought I was ready to get my black belt. I had been taking Tang
Soo Do for six years and knew all I needed to be able to get my black belt. One
Saturday morning, I woke up much more confident than normal, ready to tell
Master Lee when I was determined to take my black belt test. I walked into my
karate school and sat down with Master Lee. I told him that I was ready to take
the long awaited test which included performing different tasks to my best
ability. I needed to punch, kick, and break boards as quickly and proficiently
as I could. However, my overwhelming confidence was cut short. He quickly told
me, without hesitation, that I was not ready to achieve the greatest
achievement I would have had yet to attain. However, insistent upon following
through with what would be my greatest achievement yet. I insisted that I was
able to do everything I needed to do. I had spent those past two months or so
going to class and practicing nearly every day. I knew I was ready. Then, to my
astonishment, he said that he was wrong and that I did seem ready to become the
youngest person in the history of our school to get a black belt. So the next
week, I took my test. Master Lee called me up to perform the requirements for
my test. As soon as he told me to do the first form, I froze. I completely
forgot how to do it, and I learned it when I was eight. Master Lee looked at me
the entire time. When I looked at him after standing still for a few minutes,
he laughed and said “You said you were ready.” Needless to say, I didn’t come
even close to getting my black belt. But I wasn’t even the least bit upset. I
walked away with a new confidence I didn’t have before. Four years after my failure,
I asked Master Lee again. This time, he said yes right away. An hour later, I
had become the youngest person in our school to have a black belt. I knew I
wouldn’t have been able to fail again.
No comments:
Post a Comment